– Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts Ph.D. June, 1981
The Study of Religion, special field Comparative Religion, with major in Islamic Studies, minor in Greek Philosophy. Dissertation adviser: Prof. Annemarie Schimmel.
– Stanford University, Stanford, California A.B. Hons., April, 1973
Humanities Special Programs with Concentration in Religious Studies.
– How to Read the Qur’an, A New Guide, with Select Translations, Chapel Hill, The University of North Carolina Press, 2011
– Rethinking Islamic Studies, From Orientalism to Cosmopolitanism, ed. Carl W. Ernst and Richard C. Martin. University of South Carolina Press, 2010
– Following Muhammad, rethinking Islam in the contemporary world, University of North Carolina Press, 2003