The Tunisian Academy of Sciences, Letters and Arts - Beït al-Hikma
The Tunisian Academy Beït al-Hikma was founded in 1992 (Law No. 116-92 dated 30 November 1992), taking over from the National Foundation for Translation, Establishment of Texts and Studies, which was started in 1983.
The Academy was restructed by the governmental decree no 315 dated 21 March 2019 concerning the admenistrative and financial management and Operating procedure of the Academy.
The stated objectives of the Tunisian Academy include the following :
– Supporting Tunisian Culture in various fields and working on its influence.
– Serving as a meeting-place for distinguished scholars and providing them with the opportunity for promoting research in different fields of intellectual and scientific activity as well as exchanging ideas and experience.
– Contributing, through co-ordination with similar institutions having the same vocation around the world, to the enrichment of the Arabic language, seeing to it that it is correctly used, bringing together and developing its full potential for keeping abreast with sciences and arts.
– Helping to safeguard the national cultural heritage through research and publication.
– Compiling dictionaries and encyclopaedias and translating works.
– Organizing symposiums and conferences about those fields that come within the remit of the Academy.
– Encouraging creativity and the distribution of intellectual and artistic works.
– Giving opinions on those issues that are part of its responsibilities and which might be sought by the competent controlling authority or any other ministerial department or institution.
– The governmental decree no 315 dated 21 March 2019 concerning the admenistrative and financial management and Operating procedure of the Academy.
Department of Islamic Studies